Book Online »


Telephone:
+44 (0)1341 422 269


Fax:
+44 (0)1341 422 481


e-mail:
dolgunuchaf@aol.com


Directions:
Click Here For a Map


Address:

Dolgun Uchaf,
Nr Dolgellau,
Snowdonia,
Gwynedd LL40 2AB

Torrent Walk

Torrent Walk, unlike most country walks, was the work of a designer, Thomas Payne (who also designed the great embankment across the Glaslyn estuary at Porthmadog).

Originally, two paths were made, one on each side of the ravine but only one remains due to natural growth and erosion. The Walk was commissioned as an extension to the gardens of Caerynwch mansion during the lifetime of Baron Richards (1752-1823), Chief Baron of the Exchequer, and has been open to the public ever since.

St Mark's Church was built in 1895-98 by the widow of the founder of St Mark's Church,Florence, on land she inherited from her first husband who was a member of the Richards family of Caerynwch. It is in the style of a North Italian country church, built of locally quarried and dressed stone. The churchyard in late spring is ablaze with rhododendrons, many being specimen shrubs planted under the direction of Mrs Mary Richards, M.B.E. (1885-1977) of Caerynwch. She was a world-travelled botanist who also treasured the wealth at her feet, for she contributed vastly to a definitive record of the flora of Meirionnydd.

The waters of the Clywedog were harnessed for industry at various times, notably the woollen industry. Furthermore, between Pont Clywedog and the A470 is the site of an early eighteenth century blast furnace, the iron ore being quarried and brought down by tramway from near Cross Foxes Inn. The ruins are on private land and access is by courtesy of the landowner, so please respect the area. Site excavation was under the supervision of the staff of Plas Tan-y-bwich, the Snowdonia National Park Study Centre.

..the churchyard in late spring is ablaze with rhododendrons

Click on the image to open large walk map